We look forward to caring for you before, during and after your surgery.
Here are some general instructions that apply to all Surgical Care patients at KDH. You will be contacted by our Bookings office with instructions about your arrival and departure. If you need to contact us about your procedure, please call 613.258.6133 ext. 423.
- Do drink clear fluids up to 4 hours before your arrival time at the hospital on the day of your surgery. Clear fluids make you feel well before surgery and may help speed up your recovery. Clear fluids include water, apple juice, white cranberry or white grape juice, and colourless sport drinks (Gatorade, Powerade).
- Do take your heart, blood pressure, anti-seizure and antibiotic medications with a sip of water only the morning of your surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your surgeon.
- Do follow all preparation instructions provided by your surgeon.
- Do remove all jewelry, including body piercings, and leave any valuables at home.
- Do remove contact lenses at home, or bring your contact case with you, as you will have to remove them prior to surgery.
- Don’t eat solid food after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Don’t drink coffee or tea, chew gum or suck on hard candy after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Don’t drink any fluids (clear or otherwise) past 4 hours before your arrival time at the hospital.
- Don’t take any diabetic medication the morning of your surgery, unless otherwise instructed.
- Don’t take blood thinners past 1 week before your surgery. This is a general rule; please confirm with your surgeon.
- Don’t smoke past 24 hours prior to your surgery.
- Don’t shave the surgical area; doing this increases your risk of infection.
- Don’t wear make-up, nail polish or any scents; KDH is a scent-free hospital.
What to bring to the hospital:
- Your Health Card
- Your medications. If you have a list of your medications, please bring that as well.
- Your puffers, if you use them.
- Your CPAP machine or bite block, if you have sleep apnea.
- Assistive devices ordered by your surgeon: crutches (if you are having surgery on your leg), Zimmer splint (ACL Reconstruction) or a sling (arm). These items are also available for purchase in the Surgical Care Unit.
- Something to read: we have found that reading is a great stress reliever for our patients while they are waiting.
- Electronic devices, if you wish; we have WIFI for your convenience. However, you bring electronic devices at your own risk.
Note: If you develop a cold, flu or infection prior to your surgery, contact your surgeon. If you cannot reach your surgeon, please contact us at 613.258.6133 ext. 423.
Please note that you must arrange to have a ride home. Please ask your ride to stay in the area, as you may be able to leave earlier than anticipated. Your ride must come to the Surgical Care Unit with you to receive instructions about pick-up, etc. You cannot go home in a taxi. If you are having a surgical procedure, you must have a responsible person with you overnight.
Please be aware that for 24 hours following your anaesthetic, you –
- CANNOT drive a motorized vehicle. It is a criminal offence to drive a motorized vehicle while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- CANNOT perform any tasks requiring skill, coordination or judgment.
- CANNOT make any binding legal decisions.
- CANNOT take any drugs such as sedatives or tranquilizers unless prescribed by your physician. If you use alcohol or recreational drugs on a regular basis, please advise us as this could affect your anesthetic, pain control and recovery. This is not meant to be an invasion of your privacy but knowledge of your health helps us to care for you better. All information is kept confidential.