Kemptville District Hospital (KDH) has taken a number of proactive steps with the aim of mitigating risk around COVID-19 (coronavirus).
With the safety of KDH’s patients and families, staff, physicians and volunteers in mind, the following decisions have been made:
- Restrictions have been placed on visiting patients until further notice.
- Many non-acute outpatient clinics (specialist appointments) are cancelled until further notice. Some clinics will continue based on medical need or urgency. If your appointment is cancelled you will be called by the hospital.
- All volunteer services have been suspended; this includes operation of the hospital’s coffee shop.
- All large group events are cancelled until further notice.
- All after hours meetings at KDH are cancelled until further notice.
- All work-related travel is cancelled until further notice; personal travel is strongly discouraged; all staff and physicians who travel internationally must be cleared by Occupational Health before returning to work.
“I’m proud of the way KDH staff and physicians are pulling together in our efforts to control and suppress the spread of COVID-19,” said CEO Frank Vassallo.
The community is advised to consult the Public Health Ontario website https://www.publichealthontario.ca for up-to-date recommendations on screening, self-isolation, travel advice and public gatherings. Everyone is reminded as well to continue to practice frequent hand hygiene and careful respiratory etiquette.
If you suspect you may have novel coronavirus, call your primary care provider or local Public Health Unit and follow their instructions. Please DO NOT present directly to the emergency department as most people can self-care at home and do not need medical attention. This will help protect resources and other more vulnerable patients who do need emergency care.
As the situation evolves, we may have to monitor entry points. If you encounter locked doors, please use the ER entrance. And a reminder, please do not come to the hospital if you are ill.
Given the very fluid nature of the COVID-19 situation, please watch for future communications and advisories on this topic. “We will continue to be transparent and accountable in all our communications,” Vassallo said. “Our goal is to ensure all stakeholders are kept informed. The KDH team is very grateful for the collaboration and cooperation of all.”
About Kemptville District Hospital
Kemptville District Hospital is Accredited with Exemplary Standing, the highest ranking bestowed by Accreditation Canada. Committed to building healthier communities, we are a model of hospital-led integrated health services within the provincial health system. Kemptville District Hospital consistently ranks among the top hospitals in Ontario for both patient and employee satisfaction. We pride ourselves on being a good partner within the system. Kemptville District Hospital provides acute care hospital services, advanced orthopaedic care, and primary care management services.
For further information contact:
Jenny Read, Communications Officer
T: 613.258.6133 extension 223