Our Hospital. Our Responsibility.
At Kemptville District Hospital we recognize that, as a community leader, we have a responsibility to minimize our ecological impact while providing quality healthcare services in a manner that ensures a safe and healthy environment for our patients, staff, and visitors.
Our Environmental Mission Statement is a demonstrated commitment from within to operate in an environmentally responsible manner today, for a better tomorrow:
Recycle: Kemptville District Hospital has implemented a mixed container/paper recycling program hospital-wide. The longterm goal is to manage the diversion, recycling and reuse of all hospital waste in an environmentally responsible manner.
Conserve: Energy conservation continues to be one of our key goals; we have established a goal of a 2% reduction in energy consumption within our facility through the promotion of efficient use of materials and resources including water, electricity, raw materials and other resources, particularly those that are non-renewable.
Educate: Kemptville District Hospital is committed to training all of our staff on our environmental program and empowering them to contribute and participate – communicating our environmental commitment and efforts to our patients, staff, and our community.
Green Health Care Awards
KDH’s sustainability efforts were rewarded in late 2020 with five awards from The Canadian Coalition for Green Healthcare in the small hospital peer group:
- Green Hospital of the Year Award
- Leadership Award
- Pollution Prevention Award
- Waste Award
- Honourable Mention – Water
- In 2019, KDH earned Silver Status in the Green Hospital Scorecard, based on 2018 data.
- In June 2018, KDH received two 2017 Ontario Green Health Care Awards in the small hospital category: the Green Hospital of the Year Award and the Waste Award. Our 2017 results also earned KDH a Silver Seal in the Green Hospital Scorecard for the second year running. Read all about it here.
- In October 2015, our efforts to improve environmental performance were rewarded with a Silver Seal in the Ontario Hospital Association’s Green Hospital Scorecard program. Read all about it here.
Energy Consumption and Emissions Reporting
Click here for our required reporting on annual energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, as all as our plan to reduce energy consumption.